IPP1: Exploring development themes through the use of talk in the classroom (dialogic teaching)
[relevant to English, CSPE, Modern Languages]
- THEORY OF DIALOGIC TEACHING
- Dialogic teaching
- Ethos for dialogic teaching
- The pursuit of questions
- Links & resources
- PUTTING IT INTO PRACTICE
First reading & initial reactions
Students now viewed the film clip for the first time. The general approach to the text is one based on immersion and deconstruction, involving immersion in the world of the text and doing a close reading.
In the following video, Carmel Hinchion explains the approach to study of these texts.
Firstly we get to know the general story by playing the clip once. Before watching the film clip, students were told that it was a short narrative and that in their first reading they should try to get a sense of what was happening in the story. The first viewing was followed by an opportunity for students to talk about their initial responses to the film clip.
When the clip finished, the teacher asked for responses to questions such as:
- Is there anything you would like to say about the story here?
- What is happening here?
- Did you notice anything that was of interest to you?
- Do you have any questions after watching this clip?
- Does the story remind you of anything else?
- How did it make you feel?